Friday, January 3, 2014

Welcome!

Hello and welcome to A Touch of Ink. I have been sending and receiving letters to friends and family for about two years now. It all started when my sister moved to New York and a dear friend gave me a book on writing letters as a hostess gift. (I had been making stationery and selling it on my Etsy shop Phanciful Papers for almost 2 years at that point, but didn't actually send much of what I made. Also, I love people who give hostess gifts.) Anyway, these two events were the catalyst for a wonderful change in my life. My sister and I made a pact to write each other at least twice a week and as my stationery collection grew so did the circle of friends with whom I exchanged cards and letters. I got back in touch with friends that I had grown away from and I kept in better touch with friends who lived 5 minutes away. Today I have a collection of letters that spans my family (including my 93 year old grandmother, hi Omama!), old friends near and far, and new friends all over the world that I have met through Postcrossing. Reading through these cards never ceases to put a smile on my face or bring back a treasured memory. And although I was at first alarmed by the blank page staring back at me when I went to write a card, I now look forward to it. It is a chance to share a part of my day with someone I love and to send them a smile. Who doesn't want to open their mailbox and find something other than junk mail or bills?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on starting your blog! Great topic and a fave of mine so I will be looking forward to every post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reviving this traditional and wonderful method of correspondence! Getting a letter from you always puts a smile on my face! :)

    ReplyDelete